One of the most stressful times that a simple student or employee may encounter is a loss of an important file on the computer.
First things first, you may want to take out your rolodex and try calling your tech-savvy friends to help you out. In case you have no more choice, you just might have to spend a little bit to get yourself a data recovery software or a specialist to help you out.
1. Determine What’s Wrong
- your computer will not start at all
- blue screen of death
- your computer boots up, but files are missing or are corrupted
- your computer opens up but you cannot seem to find some of your other drives
2. Weird Sounds
The only possibility for you is to take your computer to a data recovery service where experts might be able to get your data off for you.
Of course, this would entail a lot of time and money, so you may want to weigh the value of the data you lost before going a step further.
3. Do-It-Yourself Data Recovery Tips
- Acquire and download software to help you out
- Not all software is free
- Attach your hard drive to another computer if your computer has only a single drive. This is to provide enough space to store all your data
- If your computer has a rollback safety feature, try and roll back to a previous saved state to restore damage